City of Gods: Hellenica by Jonathan Maas



I greatly appreciate the work that Jonathan Maas offers his readers; it’s very apparent within the first few pages the shear amount of research and dedication he puts forth through his words. Each book has been an amazing ride for me. I initially started with Flare [3rd Book], which was a hard punch to my face, followed by Spanner: The Fountain of Youth [2nd Book] and have recently finished City of Gods: Hellenica [1st book]. Throughout these 3 novels I’ve noticed subtle themes, or undertones of a greatness locked within one’s self and through persistence and diligence a person can will truly understand themselves and find real happiness.

City of Gods: Hellenica for me was thoroughly entertaining. Many of the characters [Gods/Spirits/Demons] we learn about early on in our lives, whether in school or just out of general curiosity make an appearance in this novel. Some, such as Hercules are portrayed as blundering fools allowing their strength to dictate their actions, while others like Dagon and Bes and even Quetzalcoatl are portrayed under a different and arguably more appreciative light.

I think the most enduring and entertaining aspect of this novel was how Maas portrayed the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, which in a sense is what this book is all about in the first place. Maas managed to not only create likable and even relatable Horsemen characters but he even managed to give them names. Finally, when the time comes we know what to call them!

"But back to my God. It's a good question, how to worship something that doesn't answer back. Though the gods in the city may have forgotten the Isle of Lepros, they are visible, they are tangible; they forget us, but they are there to forget us" [Chapter: Pestilence, Page: 56]


Out of the 4 Horseman I would have to say Kayana Marx was my absolute favorite. She simply cares not for much of anything, takes her sweet time coming to any conclusions and can take your life away with a simple touch. What a Woman! She plays an integral part in this story and helped shape this novel into a solid piece of literature.

I should seriously start adding a rating here at the end of the review. I would without a doubt give this novel a 5 out of 5 stars.

For more information on City of Gods: Hellenica or Johnathan Maas, please visit his Goodreads page.

I received a copy of this book from The Author for this review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dion: A Tale of the Highway by Jonathan Maas

Abandon by Blake Crouch